IB-RD2253-U31 speed

TrickyD

IB-RD2253-U31 speed

Post by TrickyD »

I have purchased two IB-RD2253-U31 and at first was very impressed, but they have slowed down in RAID 0 and RAID 1 write mode. Can anyone tell me why?

I’m running Windows 10 Pro. The disks being used (Seagate 1TB Firecuda) run individually at around 95MB/s write (in single and large) in the IB-RD2253-U31 (just as they did on day of purchase). When I first bench marked the IB-RD2253-U31 they ran at around 87MB/s write on RAID 1, and 157MB/s write on RAID 0. For some reason in both RAID 0 and RAID 1 they are now writing at around 23MB/s.

More information:
I’m using the same test files (20-21MB raw photos) for the benchmarking and testing.

Also, using a USB 2.0 type USB-A to USB-B cable, the write rate in single/large drops to 39MB/s, so the USB 3.0 cable and PC interface used for the testing is working.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
TD
Last edited by TrickyD on Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Support

Re: IB-RD2253-U31 speed

Post by Support »

Hello TrickyD,

do you have the same performance drop if you test it on another PC?

Best regards
TrickyD

Post by TrickyD »

Hello Support,

Yesterday I did the same test in another PC. Although it didn’t have an SSD, the speed was much better. Further investigation showed that it was using the USB Storage device driver and not USB attached SCSI driver.

Trawling the Internet, I found someone claiming they were forcing the USB storage device by overwriting uaspstor.sys with usbstor.sys in the appropriate windows system folder. Their post came with the health warning that this may cause data loss but I tried it anyway. Some weird things happened: Windows 10 still reported it was using USB attached SCSI; Raid 0 was back to being fast, so I tried Raid 1 but that was slow. I retried Raid 0 and it was still fast, so I tried Raid 1 again, and it was fast. Raid 1 has remained fast each time I have tested it since then.

Today, looking at things more deeply I have discovered that Windows 10 has overwritten uasptor.sys with the official copy, and everything is still running fast. I can only assume that I had a corrupted copy of uaspstor.sys.

I hope to have the enclosure running and storing my photos over the next week or so, and will report back if the problem reappears.

All the best,
TD
Support

Post by Support »

Hello TrickyD,

so it seems to be an issue with the USB drivers.
Thank you for letting us know and sharing this information.
Perhaps it will help someone with the same issue in the future.

Best regards